Sunshine Math Rap

Monday, September 22, 2008

Fall into Math Games

Hey kids! It's me Chet! Miss Hoffmann and Miss P are letting me type on the blog again. They say that they are too busy eating cupcakes and complaining about how badly they need pedicures to type to you, so I am helping them out. I like being their little secretary.

First, I want to say thank you to the person who brought me that wonderful hooded sweatshirt with the snowflake on it. I was so warm and cozy today when it was dreary and rainy outside. It was great. I was able to squeeze in a pretty great nap while you were all at Media.

Anyway, Miss Hoffmann and Miss P wanted me to write to you about the math games we've been playing in class. I love "Tens Go Fish," but "Close to 20" is really growing on me. It is challenging because you have to use three numbers to get close to 20, but I am getting better the more I practice. Speaking of practice...this weekend I went over to my bear friend's house. Maybe you've heard of him. His name is Winnie. I call him Pooh Bear. Pooh Bear doesn't go to school. He's too busy eating honey. I try to visit him and teach him things that I'm learning, but sometimes he tries to trick me when we play the math games.

I need your help. We were playing Close to 20. I had the following cards: 3, 10, 5, 5, and 6. I played the 10, 5, and 6. I added the cards on my scoresheet. I know that 5 and 6 make 11 because they are almost doubles and I've been practicing those. Then I added 11 with 10 and got 21. I told Pooh that my score for the round was a 1 because 21 is just 1 jump away from 20 on my 100's chart. BUT he said that I could have gotten a better score. He said that I should have used different cards for my turn, but then he wouldn't tell me which ones would have been better. Can you help me? I was really stumped. Please write me and let me know which cards would have been better...also, if you could help explain how to add them up and get the score, that would be great. Like I said, I'm new at this game and I'm still having a little trouble.

Well, I gotta go. Miss Hoffmann and Miss P want me to ride my bike to Publix and get them some Limited Edition Pumpkin ice cream. They can be very demanding, but I love them.

Good night! I hope to hear from you all soon. :)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey chet, my favorit games in the world are math games.ushiley kids don't like math games. but me love them got to go to bed


love,
Katherine G. :)!!!!!

Miss Patterson said...

Katherine G.,

Thanks for writing to Chet. He was happy to hear from you, but he was hoping that you could help him with his math problem. He needs your advice! What cards should he have used to get a better score?

Anonymous said...

I'd use a 5 and 5 with a 10 because that would make 20 and that would mean I would be winning. My score would be zero! You should do that. I think it's a good idea. Pooh was just trying his best to help you win.

Katherine O.

Anonymous said...

I think the #'s 5,5,10 cus that would make exactly 20!!!!!!! and that is katherine O's and mine


LOVE,
KATHERINE G. :)

angus said...

Hi Chet! I agree with Katherine G. because 5 and 5 are doubles and combinations of ten. And that makes 10. And 10 and 10 make twenty.

Anonymous said...

dear chet i think you shuld of yused the 5 5 and 10! you score will be 0!!!!!!

brenna

Miss Patterson said...

Wow! Chet is so thankful for all the help, ladies. He thought Pooh was trying to trick him, but Katherine O. was right. Pooh was just trying to be a good friend and math partner.

And Hayden, Chet is very curious about your gift for him. Are you going to bring it to school? He is excited!

Miss Patterson said...

Angus,
Thanks for explaining how to add up the score. That is the part that Chet thinks is really tricky. Looks like you will be all set for the quiz Friday. You are a score keeping master!

Anonymous said...

Dear chet Winnie was actually wrong when you were playing close to twenty!he just wanted you to louse! FromRida

Miss Patterson said...

Rida,
Are you sure? Did you read other people's suggestions? Isn't a score of 0 better than a score of 1? Let us know what you think and thanks for stopping by!

Michelle Ellis & Debby Cothern said...

Chet,
How do you keep those two teachers motivated? Any time you want to write on our blog, come on over.
Mrs. Ellis and Mrs. Cothern