Sunshine Math Rap

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Clementine




We may have finished reading Clementine, but we don't have to forget about her. We are curious about what you thought of the book. Choose one (or more) of the questions below and let us know what you think.

1. Clementine reminds us of young girls like Ramona, Junie B., and Judy Moody. Does she remind you of any of these characters from other stories? What does she have in common with them? What is different about her?

2. Clementine helped her father find a solution to the pigeon problem, by having Mrs. Jacobi feed them Cheerios from a different window. Describe a solution that you came up with to help a friend or family member.

3. On the back of the book, it says "Clementine is having not so good of a week." This is also the first sentence of the book. We had fun laughing about all the things that happened to Clementine, but to her they were very serious (at least at first). Have you ever had a "not so good of a week" that you were able to laugh at later? Describe what happened.

4. Clementine loves to draw, whether it's a picture of a lady eating lentils with a toothbrush, or a picture of her brother wearing bologna glasses. Talk about something you like to do in your spare time.

We hope these questions will be a fun way for you to continue to talk about Clementine, even though we are done reading the book in class. Feel free to come back and comment on the posts left by your classmates, as well.

P.S. If you really loved Clementine, then be sure to look for the two other books in the series: The Talented Clementine and Clementine's Letter. Enjoy!




19 comments:

Anonymous said...

chet was it fun in newyork. i want to go. if i go to newyork ill bring you.katherine

Anonymous said...

3. Once I had a bad day just like Clementine. I wanted to go to a party and my mom said no. I was so sad and angry I wanted to cry.

Lindsay

Anonymous said...

hi chet i had a bad day once. on the first day of second grade!
when i got off the bus i felt happy
and a little grumpy!

Anonymous said...

sorry i did not say my name on the
last one! and chet you really look
cute!

brenna

Anonymous said...

1 reminded me clementine is like junie B. Rida

Anonymous said...

4 reminded me that I like draw like Clementine. Rida

Anonymous said...

Dear chet I loved your pictures.My most faverite was the one with you making friends wiht the M&Ms my bother loved the pictres to. Rida

Miss Patterson said...

Rida,
Wow! Thanks for joining the Clementine conversation. Good readers love talking about books! We can see that are a great reader!

How is Clementine like Junie B.? I think one thing they have in common is that they both tend to worry about things, but in the end everything seems to work our okay. What else do they have in common?

Also, you mentioned that you like to draw...what do you like to draw best? You should bring some of your drawings in to share. We would love to see them!

Miss Patterson said...

Brenna,

What made you grumpy on the first day of second grade? Did something happen on the bus? Chet was telling us about something that made him very worried once. We will let him take over the keyboard and type it to you now:

Hi Brenna! It's me Chet. It was fun sitting with you during Morning Meeting today! You didn't pull my ears or anything. How nice!
Anyway, I can really relate to Clementine when she was worried about her parents' secret at the end of the book. She thought they were getting rid of her, when they were really planning her that great party with the pigeon cake...I love cake! I will try to stay focused...okay...where was I...Oh yeah. Once I thought my mom was acting strange. She kept sending me to my Uncle Teddy's house and made me take all this food to eat. I was getting a stomachache from all that food. I thought she was fattening me up so I wouldn't make the basketball team and could stay home in the forest to keep her company. Really, she was trying to make sure I would have enough body fat to stay warm while we hibernated all winter. Boy did I feel silly for thinking the wrong thing!

Talk to you soon!
Love,
Chet

Miss Patterson said...

Katherine,
Chet would love to travel with you. He knows how much you love animals, so he's sure you would take very good care of him.

Ian Puttick said...

My favorite part of Clementine was when she cut off her hair. That reminds me of a not so good day when I was in kindergarten. It was the beginning of the school year and my hair had grown long over the summer. One day I decided to give myself a haircut in school. I got in a lot of trouble. I was sad that day, but now I can laugh about it.

Miss Patterson said...

Ian,
Wow! What a great connection to Clementine. We're glad you can laugh about it now. At least you didn't cut anyone else's hair or color on your head with green marker, like Clementine did to Margaret.

Anonymous said...

i hope to make another text massage tomorrow.
have a good night.


geonwoo

Anonymous said...

dear chet i got your mesage. well
somthing did not happen on the bus
i was tierd. i woke up at 6:00 in
the morning yaaaaaaaaan oh! looks
like i am tierd now!

brenna

Anonymous said...

dear Ian that was my favrite part
of cleminte to.

Miss Patterson said...

Brenna,

It's me, Chet. 6:00 AM...yow! That is early. I usually just wake up when the bell rings. That's why I'm still a little groggy during Morning Meeting and Calendar Math.

Chet

Mrs. Felter said...

Hey Miss P and Miss Hoffmann,

I think Clementine and Junie B. are alike because they both always try to do the right thing. Sometimes Clementine and Junie B. make mistakes but they have really good hearts.

I enjoyed reading this book this summer! Right now my class is reading a different Battle of the Books book called No Talking. :)

Sincerely,
Miss L

Anonymous said...

I have read the new Clementines and I have the talented Clementine and I really liked it. I also had a bad day once when I had no one to play with and it was raining. I asked my Mom if someone could spend the night and she said yes. So I had a friend spend the night and the problem was solved.

Miss Patterson said...

Thanks for the response! We are glad that you found a way to solve your problem. It sounds like you and Clementine have something in common...things usually work out in the end. :)