Sunshine Math Rap

Friday, February 20, 2009

Presenting Prefixes

Chet here, boys and girls! Let me tell you, I was a little worried when I heard the word prefix. It sounds like something a doctor uses..."Nurse, hand me the prefix!" Well you know me, I'm a curious bear, so I did a little research and guess what?!? They are not scary at all. It turns out, prefixes are certain letters that can be added to the beginning of a word to alter the meaning. Here are some common prefixes you guys have probably already seen:

dis (not): dislike, disagree, disappear
im (not): impolite, immature, impossible
in (not): incorrect, incomplete, inappropriate
un (not): unplug, unsure, unaware
re (again): rewrite, retell, return
pre (before): preview, pretest, prehistoric
mis (wrong): misspelled, misunderstood, mistreated

Hope this is helpful! Remember, you can't just add a prefix to any word you want. They only make sense in from of certain root words! Don't use them improperly! ;)

Chet

P.S. Check the Skills Help section for games to practice prefixes.

3 comments:

Mrs. Felter said...

This is great Hoffmann/Patterson crew! We're still figuring this out up in fifth grade. :)

Keep up the great work!
Sincerely,
The Lipsky Team

Esther Kottke said...

Your work is wonderful. I am teaching a summer school program that focuses on reading conventions and skills...your site has some of the same sites I've collected but you have many more. Thanks. I teach at Hilo Union School in Hilo, Hawaii.

Miss Patterson said...

Esther,
Thanks for writing! We're certainly glad the sites were helpful. Tell us more about your school. We are very curious about what it's like in Hawaii.